Saturday, June 20, 2020

Moto Guzzi Nevada

When I was younger, one of the first things I used to look for in bike test reports was the bhp figure, then probably the insurance cost. Now I'm a geriatric old fart with short legs and a back problem, one of the first things I look for is saddle height. This is because I have trouble getting my leg over (cue canned laughter). So when I recently decided to get my last-ever bike I scoured the internet for saddle height info and, another limiting factor, cost. Fancied a Harley V-Rod with good low seat, but cost ruled that out. Then thought of a BMW F650 with the seat lowering option, but..., nah. Then, while delving through an old issue of Bike magazine which I'd kept because it featured a report on the Transalp 50th anniversary model, I spotted a previously overlooked report on the Guzzi Nevada. Good engine size (750cc), a twin, Italian brio, shaft drive and..., low saddle. Then checked the internet for further info. Rubbish bhp figure but still had good reports although it's wrongly regarded as a ladies bike - sexist twaddle. And..., the model was updated in 2012 with increased power and torque. Right, that's the one for me! Checked the ads. No latest models being sold second-hand. Loads (well, a few) of the pre-latest model versions available, but didn't want 'em. The only option seemed to be to buy new. Whaaat!! Ridiculous idea. Something will turn up. Sure enough, spotted an ad for a one owner model with just 1490kms (926 miles) in 'as new' nick for just €4700 (about £4200) being sold by a small dealer in NW France, in the depths of winter (February), in the middle of that coronavirus Covid-19 lockdown. Not a good time for selling, but great for buying. Snapped it up (dealer was probably surprised it sold quickly to a mad Brit buyer who hadn't even seen or test driven the thing!). Had it delivered. Stunning. No regrets. Dead chuffed. Bit later I spotted another one with a much higher kilométrage and considerably higher price. Reckon I got a bargain.


No comments:

Post a Comment